Winds of Areloma

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum RP. Real description will come at some point probably.

5 posters

It started one morning...

SamHarr
    SamHarr

It started one morning... - Page 2 Empty Re: It started one morning...

Post by SamHarr Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am

@JazzyJ

So the prince wants especially smart Xohulu?
    Pidru was never a genius. He would never stand out among a crowd for his intelligence, which is why he never really tried to. There are reasons why a tall, fit, charismatic man makes his life by thrusting hard poles into other men's faces.

But this situation could provide for an interesting change in his life's direction. Here he is at the height of his fame. If Pidru takes care of himself, then he will have as many as two more years of great glory. If he gets lucky and plays the game of politics within the sport world, then he can become a trainer or a commentator or some other easy, retired life where people remember him for those few glorious years and he goes home to pictures of himself smiling bright and victorious. It never suited him, but he never saw another life for himself. He would never be able to enter the real world for anything meaningful, not after getting hit with clubs a traditional seven-year career.

Pidru takes a few off-guard seconds to really consider the situation. He has only been in the game for three years, just enough time to become famous without doing too much damage to  his brain along the way. If this opportunity is for real, then he'll never have a better shot at anything else. If the prince is really looking to reach out and understand the public, then popular figures like him would be prime candidates... but there wouldn't be many open spaces. Pidru would need a way to stand out above the rest of the crowd.

His face breaks into a crafty smile, which he then directs to his teammates. "Well then let's all go together, why not? Show them what real Xohulu look like when we mean business!" Striding ahead, Pidru knew what he had to do. He may not stand out from an entire crowd, but he has always been good at standing out looking better than his boxy, slow-witted peers.
    Llena
    Llena

Post by Llena Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 pm

@JazzyJ

Anku wasn't sure how to react. It was rare to have a Magocrat, however low on the totem pole, come to an artisan's door and ask their opinion on magiccraft. That Clara was even considering such a thing either showed foolishness, respect for him, or both. Nonetheless, a swift glance showed she had done her work with care. The crystals were finely hewed, the jewels in their hilts set well for an amateur. Although there were some issues, such as refinement of the crystals and perhaps the engraving on the hilt, she could have a business from these, especially if their enchantments were useful. It might not be typical of a Magocrat to go into craftwork, but for a poor family perhaps it was a good choice.

Anku carefully picked up a small, rose quartz dagger and took his loupe out, focusing on the fine details of the crystal and hilt through the magnifying lens. It confirmed his suspicions that although she needed tutelage, she had figured out a great deal from her own work.

An in to the Magocracy, while not money, would still be useful to them. He could perhaps get a mass order commissioned, and it was always good to have someone on your side when work dried up. Then again, based on Clara's situation, her parents might not hold power much longer.

Since when, however, had he seen someone that so enjoyed craftwork? Waman and Killa were skilled, but they saw it as a means to a comfortable life. Anku saw it as a duty to his forbears. But Clara enjoyed it.

And to squash that, especially when he could get something out of it, seemed needlessly cruel. He looked up at her.

"First, I will have to know what enchantments have been laid on these daggers. I am not as versed in pre-enchanted items as I am for vessels to be used later. But..."

He could see Clara hold in her breath.

"You have raw talent. And Waman and Killa, although my apprentices, were first my father's. I have none of my own, and they are advanced enough to do almost all work in their spheres. They will leave soon, and I will need to find new people to either take on as apprentices. As a Magocrat, I doubt apprenticing is an option for you. But finding new apprentices takes time, and having some form of compensation in the meantime will be helpful.

"I will lend you my advice and help. In return, in writing, we must draw up a contract between us stipulating that you owe me compensation in the form of referrals to other Magocrat families, or whatever sort of favor you believe would be of use."

Anku paused for a moment. He had been taught to be highly deferential to all Magocrats, but Clara would be his sort-of-apprentice. It would not do to keep calling her Miss Mbanefo all the time, were he to be the teacher. And Clara didn't seem to mind being more casual, which was rare among her class.

"Is that acceptable, Clara?"
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:32 pm

@Kaye

You manage to sift your way through the hustle and bustle of the market, but not without some difficulty. The crowds are tight, and constantly pushing by you and squeezing past you. The environment is exhilarating. There are musicians blaring music through the streets, and people with bells sewn into their clothes dancing frantically. With the sun came the heat that aggressively warms everything in its path. Then there are the smells. The smell of sweat and spices, roasted meats, dried flowers and leaves... it's overwhelming. Merchants are loudly hawking their goods, regulars chatting cavalierly about the the prince and the emperor. Life truly does go on with or without you, even if you are... well, no need to bring yourself down with 'what-if's'.

It started one morning... - Page 2 Cb209910
    "Ey, yo boss!" shouts out a shrill, but surprisingly calm and confident voice from about two feet below you. There before you stands a boy, maybe at oldest ten years old. "Yo, boss, you look like ya havin' some trouble. Didja need some help finding somethin' or somethin'?"
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 pm

@SamHarr

Atauchi and Atau seem immediately aware that you're up to something. "Nah mate, we're gonna go on our own." Atau said, releasing his brother from a headlock. Atauchi rubbed at his neck in frustration. "Yeah, fuck off Pidru!" he said. "You ain't stealin' this from me." So the twins leave, Atauchi in a particularly foul mood.

Manku just shrugged. "Eh, fuck all if I care if either of you get the position." He chews his cud in consideration for a few moments. "But it's better one o' you then some sniveling lil' cocksucker, so, yeah, I'll back you up." Manku agreeing seems to bring the rest of the guys around, and before long you're on the street leading a crew of large, burly, probably still kind of drunk from last night, men towards the palace.
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:55 pm

@Llena

Clara's eyes brightened at your offer. "A contract! Yes, ah... of course! I didn't think.... Oh! We must go to the notary then, right away!" She grabs your arm and pulls you up out of your chair and out of the shop before you even have time to realize exactly what just happened.

"...of course, I'm not in a position to be apprenticing under anyone, but if you're in need of further assistance, I know of more than a few skilled hands who would love to be trained in such a fine art..." It seems she hasn't stopped talking yet. "Oh, this is going to be wonderful! This will show the Academy that this project has worth. I don't need to just suck up to the aristocracy, I have a fine set of talents and my charms will put me in the seat of Mage Advisor for the Emperor in a decade's time, I know it. The old fart is probably just going to keel over and croak right after the Emperor does anyway... oh!" She turns back to face you, all billowing skirts and hair. "But you didn't hear me say that! Yes...yes, this will be... Oh, gods, Bellmaker, I don't even know your name! How rude is that of me! I swear, I will repay your kindness in dividends, sir! Dividends! ...Wait, is that the right word? Oh, I don't know!" She's still talking. "But, once I make my way into the castle properly, you and your family will want for nothing, I swear to you! Was that your wife? Oh, she's lovely... she's so lovely, and she seems so sweet! I'm sure you must have such a happy family!"
    CharismaticMegafauna
    CharismaticMegafauna

Post by CharismaticMegafauna Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:13 pm

@JazzyJ

Dain looked down at the child. Yes, he did need a little help finding his way around the marketplace, having only shopped for himself a handful of times before. Though he had heard quite a few stories of unwary persons who'd been robbed blind by urchins... But he couldn't screw up this task and risk losing his job. It was difficult enough to find work without any knowing any practical skills. Now that he had a few, he was determined to keep what he had.

He made sure to keep a few feet back from the child, and shoved his hands in his pockets, just in case. "I could use a little help. Do your parents run a shop?"
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm

@Kaye

The little boy nodded vigorously. "Oh, yeah, yeah, aye! My dad's a who...I... I mean a fishmonger! He sells loads o' fish. You need fish? We got fish! Bass? We got it. Catfish? We got it. Them lil' whisker-newts? We got loads of 'em!" He moves pretty quickly for a little guy, beckoning you forward and talking excitedly along the way. You wind through the market stalls, through the narrow streets, past scaffolding and half built buildings and... there's no shop here. There's just walls. And children. Grinning, dirty children with knives and sticks. The boy turns around and gives you a bright, evil grin. "So, look, boss. You got two options here. Either you gimme all your shit, or me and my mates beat you to shit and take all your shit." The kids giggle and surround you, brandishing their roughshod weapons.
    CharismaticMegafauna
    CharismaticMegafauna

Post by CharismaticMegafauna Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm

@JazzyJ

Of course. Of bloody course.

Dain considered his options. He couldn't very well just strike a child, especially not when the child in question had a stick as long as his arm and a malicious grin.

He would not be humiliated by a group of children! His hand found the contents of his purse and grabbed a few coins. He threw them in a wide arc, over the children's heads; not all the coin he had on his person, but enough to hopefully distract the urchins.

Then his free hand swiped out, and grasped the apparent leader by his ear. "You need to learn some manners!" He scolded, preparing to haul the boy out of the alley.
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 pm

@Kaye

The boy does not take well to being grabbed by the ear.  "AY! The hell do you think you are, punk?!" he shrieks, and swings his tiny fist into your delicate manly region.  As you fall to your knees, you hear the boy yell to his comrades: "Skin 'im and take everything!  Turn 'is stupid pussy face into blood pudding!"  You realize too late, they blocked off your exit.  The children pile on top of you, shouting, smacking, pounding and stabbing anything of you can get at.  You find yourself cursing your poor fortune at this humiliating end to what could have been your shining moment.  Then you hear a sound.  A far away holler.  You think you hear some kids screaming.  You feel the weight suddenly leaving your body as the children shriek in fear and... pain?

"Yo, boss.  Hey, can ya hear me?" another young voice says.  You feel something poking and prodding at your broken bones and stab wounds, not maliciously, but not delicately either.  "Hey, I'm gonna roll you on your back, okay?  Shit, boss, you got beat ta hell, huh?" Small hands grab you by the shoulder and the arm, and roll you onto you back.

It started one morning... - Page 2 9e2c0210

You see the grubby, dirty face of your rescuer.  The kid's bloody bat rests at his feet, and as he tries to wipe a bit of sweat off his brow he smears the blood on his hands onto his forehead by mistake.  "Shit, cousin, you're gonna die.  You're lucky I'm here, huh?"  The little urchin grins a crooked, gap toothed grin and rubs his hands together.  "Imma fix you up, okay boss?  But, here's the deal, you gotta keep it quiet, alright?  Don't tell nobody."   The boy jumps on your chest, still grinning his manic smile, and, firmly presses his hands into you.  You feel a warm pulse rushing through your body, washing the pain away.  The boy jumps right back up off of you as you come to realize all those stab wounds and broken bones just... just aren't there anymore.  He grins again, and picks up his spiky bat.  "Everybody needs some help sometimes, right cousin?"
    CharismaticMegafauna
    CharismaticMegafauna

Post by CharismaticMegafauna Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 pm

@JazzyJ

Dain curled into a ball to try to protect himself, but the beating continued. The pain was sharper and more blinding than anything he'd felt in his life, an ache that didn't stop even once the children had scattered. He groaned as the boy rolled him over,  his breath ragged. And then...it was gone.

Dain sat up slowly, shaking visibly. His head was spinning, trying to make sense of what had just happened. Market, boy, dumb mistake...and now another street rat grinning at him. He could only focus on one thing right now, and decided he'd rather not replay his rather embarrassing predicament at the moment. Dain tentatively got to his feet. He'd done a remarkable job for one so young. Dain inspected himself. His clothes were torn, blood stained in places, but he didn't feel a thing. Numbly, he wiped what had been a split lip. The back of his hand smeared with blood. "You're a Prophet?" He asked the boy while wiping his hand off. "What are you doing out here?"
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 am

@Kaye

"A wassit? I dunno cuz, but I toldja not so loud!" The boy looked about nervously. "You don't know what the rich guys do to Witches, boss. It's horrible. So... So don't tell nobody I did that an' I'll call it even for saving your ass, alright?"
    CharismaticMegafauna
    CharismaticMegafauna

Post by CharismaticMegafauna Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 pm

@JazzyJ

"We should leave before those ruffians come back, but I would like to talk to you a bit more." Dain gestured down the alley, waiting to make sure the boy was following him before leaving. "What's your name, child?" He asked. His talent should have found him sponsorship for the Academy, but he didn't want to scare the child away by bringing that up. Not yet, anyway.
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 pm

@Kaye

The boy follows behind, but is clearly rather nervous now. "Er... I'm Teo. You don't wanna go that way, cousin. Raf's guys went that way." He pulls your sleeve a bit and leads you down a different alley instead. "You don't gotta worry about them with me around though. They're scared of me. You.... you ain't gonna turn me in, right?"
    CharismaticMegafauna
    CharismaticMegafauna

Post by CharismaticMegafauna Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm

@JazzyJ

In the back of his mind, Dain quietly wondered if Teo had managed to get back any money the pint-size gang had stolen, but that was hardly the matter at hand now. "No, I won't." Dain offered the boy a reassuring smile. "That would be a poor way to show my gratitude, though I can't say I much approve of your lifestyle. This is no way for a boy of your talent to live. Would I be correct to assume that you have no sponsor to attend the Academy?" He spoke gently as they walked, not wanting to frighten the boy. Mentally, Dain ran through his list of contacts and found...very little which he could rely on now. Perhaps if he could get in touch with Lessy....

Dain shook his head, realizing how far he was putting the cart before the horse. "Teo, I want to help you, that's all," he added, before the boy tried to disappear back into the streets.
    Llena
    Llena

Post by Llena Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:04 pm

@JazzyJ

Anku's face became a mask. It was the mask he wore when dealing with clients, with Paqar's family ("We're so overjoyed that Paqar chose such a nice young man!"), with his father when he left mother's funeral early; with anything and anyone where pain or rage or annoyance had to be buried. But after years and years, even a mask get chipped and scratched and hurt from overuse and weariness. It was easy now, if you chose to, to look past his placid facial expression and see the hurt in his eyes when he began to speak.

"I have no family at the moment, I'm afraid, as my parents have passed. Paqar is my fiancée; we are to be wed in the coming months."

The affection he put in his voice was not false, except the implication of romance. Paqar was, and would always be, a dear friend. She knew the duties of an artisans family and also the secrets he'd long buried. It had been on her shoulder that he had finally cried for his mother, a week after her funeral; and his father, a month after. She would drink with him, and they would talk of secret fantasies: a cottage in the hills for Paqar, nestled in nature; the warm, gentle smile of a life-long lover for Anku. But when the morning came, they would return to their work, with their friendship one of the few lifelines they had.

"And my name is Anku Llancay. Best to know that for the paperwork, I believe." The mask cracked for a moment to let a smile out. Clara was thoroughly scatterbrained, and there was a measure of charm in her naiveté. Though it would probably prove frustrating in the end, especially with her Mage Advisor talk. Still, he could definitely get something out of this.

Clara all but looked ready to launch into an apology/monologue as they almost passed what Anku supposed was the needed notary from the paper and quill on the sign. Anku hesitated a moment before putting out his hand to stop her by the shoulder, trying to remind himself that Clara wasn't the kind of noble that would try to kill him for such insolence (hopefully). "Is this the notary you meant?"
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:41 pm

@Llena

"Oh! Oh, I'm so sorry.... I didn't mean..." Clara sputtered.  She clears her throat, shakes her head, and started again.  "Paqar, you said her name is?  I must properly introduce myself to her then, when I next see her.  I wish you both many happy years, Bell... I mean, Anku."  When you bring her attention to the notary, though, she shakes her head again, not even seeming to notice you grabbing her by the shoulder.  "Oh, no.  We'll be speaking to my family's lawyer for this.  Best to make sure it's completely watertight, yes?  Besides, I'd rather have legal documents drawn up by someone I know I can trust, wouldn't you?"
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 pm

@Kaye

"Um... sponsor? N-no! No way!" Teo got a bit wide-eyed at the suggestion. "L-look, it's not even like I can do much of anything. Just a couple little tricks I picked up, boss! Plus! Plus you said you weren't gonna turn me in! You can't go back on that now! That'd be... um... ungentlemanly!" He lags a bit, rocking back and forth on his feet and dragging his bat. "You... um... you got anything to eat on you by the way?"
    CharismaticMegafauna
    CharismaticMegafauna

Post by CharismaticMegafauna Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 pm

@JazzyJ

Dain realized he'd gone too far with that one. Time to drop the subject. "Of course. I won't tell anyone." He patted his sadly empty pockets. "And I'm afraid not. Unfortunately, those thieves stole every copper I had." He sighed inwardly. This was going to come out of his already meager pay, wasn't it?

"I suppose I should head back to the tavern. It's called The Trout, and it's not entirely disreputable." For a second Dain debated what would be worse: the beating, or facing Catori when he came back empty-handed. Neither were pleasant prospects. "And since I owe you a debt of gratitude, my name is Bill Door. If you ever need help, or wish for a change in profession, you can look for me there."
    SamHarr
    SamHarr

Post by SamHarr Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:35 am

"You there! Native sons! We are on our way to the palace! Come and join us, that our voices might ring together as one!" Over and over, Pidru, Manka, and every other Clubber they could pull away from training made this call to any passers by or other people curious enough at the slowly amassing crowd to stick their heads out of their residences. "We are your pride! We are your power! We are warriors of the hearth, proof of Xohulu strength and determination!"

Of course, most of the people who were coming up were fans of theirs, eager to jump on an opportunity for individual attention. As luck would have it, a particularly attractive young couple with a bright eyed little boy and a swaddled baby girl were right in plain sight. Pidru signaled them to come over and share the limelight. The man and woman were each a few years his junior, and all the better-looking for it. He charmed them with kisses on the cheek, taking in the familiar scent of the overjoyed reaction of his fans. He smiled at the little boy holding his mother's hand and looking up at his hero. Pidru looked back into his starry eyes, habitually scrutinizing for evidence of his patronage.

"What is your name, son?" Pidru asked with a big grin.

"Uchu," the little boy cheered back through his milk teeth.

Giving the mother a trust me look, Pidru picked up the small boy and balanced his little feet astride his own mesa-like shoulders.

"Give our families a voice!" Pidru shouted.

"Give our family toys!" The boy echoed.

And so went Pidru's crowd, onward to the palace.
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

It started one morning... - Page 2 Empty *ATTENTION POR FAVOR*

Post by JazzyJ Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm

(I'm going to be jumping things along tomorrow morning, so, last chance to address anything going on here now *cough Lizzie cough cough*)
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:20 pm

@Kaye

As you begin to leave, you notice Teo tailing behind you a bit. He notices you noticing him and shifts awkwardly a bit, before coming up close to you. "Um, guess I should give you some o' your money back then, huh?" He pulls your satchet out of his pant leg and sheepishly hands it to you. It's torn, and is significantly lighter than before, but there's still a bit of money in it. "You prolly need it more than I do anyway." The sounds of the market then begins to shift. It sounds like there's a parade beginning to march through the main market street. Teo perks up at the sound, scrambling up a gutter like a grubby little squirrel. When he makes it to the roof, he screams, and starts jumping up and down, pointing ahead. "Hey! Hey look! It's the Clubbers!" He looks down at you for a moment and grins, all stars and excitement. "Imma go see, alright boss? You comin' too, right?"
    CharismaticMegafauna
    CharismaticMegafauna

Post by CharismaticMegafauna Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:03 pm

"Thank you." Dain pocketed the money, keeping it clutched in one hand. The sounds in the marketplace became noticeably louder, voices shouting...no, chanting. He followed Teo a few feet before catching sight of the Clubbers...and a veritable mob of people shouting. It took a second for him to hear exactly what they were saying, but it became clear: give our people a voice. "Our people", it looked like, were almost entirely Xohulu.

That sent alarms through him. This wasn't a parade, it was an uprising. He let the boy join the crowd, shouting "be careful" at Teo's back.

With that, he headed back to the tavern. Catori be damned, he was not going shopping when an uprising was about to start.
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

Post by JazzyJ Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:17 pm

@Kaye

You come to realize that you don't quite remember the winding route the little urchin that robbed you took. The sounds in the market keep getting louder; cheering, chanting, yelling. You turn left down a little elbow of a road, but stop in your tracks at a crowd of shouting, excited Xohulu. You try turning around and going a different way, but are blocked off by a wall of Xohulu laborers, wielding hammers, chisels, mallets... the tools of their trade. Trying to get away, you manage to back yourself into the parade proper. "Aye! Cuz!" you hear a familiar voice shout out to you. Teo is grinning at you and waving you over. "Where'd ya go?! C'mon!"
    JazzyJ
    JazzyJ
    Admin

It started one morning... - Page 2 Empty The Rebel Prince

Post by JazzyJ Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:42 pm

The excitement at the marketplace is quickly reaching a fever pitch. Xohulu and other downtrodden are chanting and gathering excitedly around the sportsmen, and the excitement is spreading all throughout the market. At the edge of the Grand Bazaar sits the Market Temple, where the priests sell holy water and other things to ingratiate a man to the gods at an affordable price.

It started one morning... - Page 2 An_chu11
    No one notices when he gets there, but everyone notices when he speaks; magic must be amplifying his voice somehow. "Wauqe! Have we not been suppressed and shoved down for long enough?! The tyrant king is dead! No more supplication! Death to the oppressors!" The young man hangs defiantly from the Market Temple's steeple. He pulls something from his vest and throws it. Soon after, a guardsman clutches his neck as thick, scarlet blood bubbles through his fingers, collapsing to the ground. "Xohulu kunan! Xohulu wiñai!" The young man disappears in a swirl of smoke, and the market erupts into chaos.

(Rough translation note: Wauqe means "brothers" in Quechua. Kunan means "now," and wiñai means "forever." So says google, anyway.)
    SamHarr
    SamHarr

Post by SamHarr Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Pidru looks to his left and sees a Xohulu man with a snake wrapped around himself with an arm outstretched.
    Pidru looks to his right and sees a non-Xohulu guard with blood gurgling out of his neck.
    Pidru looks to his left and sees no Xohulu man, nor snake, only a swirl of smoke.
    Pidru stares out at the crowd that he has been instrumental in amassing and sees the seeds of unrest sewn in so many faces.

Pidru hesitates. The boy atop his shoulders shifting from side to side, looking to his mother and father, and slowly coming to understand the he should be afraid of what is happening right now. These people, whom he gathered, are about to riot. The resulting chaos of which will decimate his chances for ascension into politics. But if he intervenes, he may get a knife in his throat. Then he would never get laid. And he'd be dead, too. But there's no choice.

"Wall!" Pidru shouts at the top of his lungs, handing the little boy to the young man that is probably the father, pushing the whole family back behind him as Manku and the clubbers form a wall of manly muscle. They put as many innocent people behind them as they could. "We are the wall that protects the people of this city. Anyone who wishes to take this city through force will have to go through us!"
    Hopefully, they won't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm